Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Where have I been?

Gosh, has it been more than a week since my last post?  That's insane.  I don't know where the time goes, but I imagine it goes here...


and here...


and maybe here, too...?


What have we been up to, you ask?  I suppose I could say 'nothing special', and yet, it is all special.  A thousand special little moments strung together to fill up our days, which turn into weeks... which have somehow, I realized today while looking at the calendar, turned into five beautiful months.
  • Every day, we play outside in the beautiful spring weather.  We spread out an old tattered rug next to the daffodils and we bring toys and books outside, and we play.  'Airplane baby' is one of our favorite activities these days (see above photos!), as is peek-a-boo.  Eliza is also fascinated by the grass; she loves touching it and figuring out what on earth this green stuff is.  Then we look up at the sky and the trees and I tell her that I can't wait to teach her all about the beauty of nature and the great wide world.
  • We've been taking baths every night now before bed, which is an absolute joy.  I love getting in that tub with her and all her rolls, and that little baby butt on which, yes it's true, I have been known to blow raspberries.  She is learning that when she kicks her feet, it makes QUITE the watery mess that gets all over Daddy... and so she does it again and laughs and we laugh right along with her.  OH, the laughing. It is the most beautiful sound!  
  • Eliza and I have also had many play dates in the last few weeks.  It's been so refreshing to get out of the house now that the weather is nice and meet friends for walks, lunch dates, trips to the zoo and the conservatory.  Mall walking has been replaced by walking around the lake nearby our house, and Eliza is very pleased, she LOVES the outdoors (from what we can tell so far, at least).  A couple of our friends have recently welcomed new babies, so I have more mommy friends now than ever.  We get together and chat, nurse, and love on our babies.  Nothing better.  
  • Bedtime has been going great.  First, we sing while hubby plays the guitar - tonight, it was 'Let it Be' - then we take a bath and then nurse.  She's usually asleep and in her co-sleeper by 8, giving us some couple time (or "alone" time, sometimes, which is when I can blog!) before we go to bed.  It provides a wonderful balance and brings a calm to the ending of our day, and it is good for us.  
  • My parents have been soaking up this girl like she is going out of style, and I love watching them watch her and interact with her.  I don't know what is different about the love of a grandparent for a grandchild, but I think there is magic in it.  They take care of her at least once a week while the hubby and I go out for dinner, run errands - or go to a concert AND EVEN have a pre-concert drink (like we did on Saturday :)!

There is more to say, more stories to tell and more photos to share...  but tomorrow my baby girl will be five months old, and I need to go figure out HOW ON EARTH THAT HAPPENED.

Bye!

6 comments:

Jessie said...

Too-too cute! She's such a little PERSON already!! And she should totally be a model for your friend's adorable baby clothes!

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Ella, your baby is gorgeous and your posts are sooooo lovely! You're right, there is magic in a grandparent's love. Aug and Vi have totally changed my life, as my blogger name may suggest!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely adore that first photo of her!! Actually, all of them are cute, but that one is just so precious. :)

Also, the difference in tone in your posts is amazing, and a beautiful thing -- you really seem like you were made to be a mom!! I'm sorry you had to go through all you did to have Eliza, but your love for her is so evident in your posts and it is beautiful to see. :)

jrose35 said...

She is so adorable Ella! I just love her pictures! Sending a happy five months wishes to Eliza!

Wordgirl said...

She's SO gorgeous!

Jessica said...

I love that hat, what a cutie pie! So glad you are enjoying her so much! I can't wait to do the some of the same things with our little one :)

Eliza's Stats

Birth: 8 lbs 5 ozs
Going home: 7 lbs 10 ozs
5 days: 7 lbs 13 ozs
2 months: 12 lbs 6 ozs
4 months: 17 lbs
5 months: 18 lbs 12 ozs
6 months: 20 lbs 13 ozs
9 months: 24 lbs 3 ozs
12 months: 26 lbs 13 ozs
15 months: 28 lbs
18 months: 29 lbs 3 ozs
2 years: 32 lbs
3 years: 34 lbs

Alice's Stats

Birth: 8 lbs 11 oz
2 Months: 13 lbs 10 oz
4 Months: 17 lbs 15 oz
6 Months: 20 lbs 4 oz